Thursday, October 16, 2014

Ah, youth......looking down on them?

Today....

Take a walk down memory lane with me....and into the future as well.....

I feel like the Psalmist who wrote, "I have been young and now am old...." (Psalm 37:25)

I'm not in my 20s or 30s anymore....but I remember those years well....

I was part of a brand new church in Phoenix, it was ground breaking for the time....

The church met in a  small warehouse that had been converted to a place of worship...there was a sanctuary that seated maybe 100, three small rooms that served as nursery/children's church, and a rented space next door that housed a few simple offices.

We sang  energetic new songs like, "We Bring a Sacrifice of Praise into the house of the Lord...." and "In Him we live, and move, and have our be---ing".  (Anybody out there singing along?)

Seemed like someone was always playing a tambourine or dancing in the aisles.....

Everybody brought their Bibles and notebooks to church.  Nearly everyone served in some capacity.  When a special meeting or fast was called, the participation was practically 100%.

The pastor was in his mid 30s.....most of the congregants were in their 20s or 30s....lots of young families!

That church didn't have a lot of income....no "important people"... no dignitaries that I am aware of...no mayor or governor, or professional sports figures attended....

But man oh man, that church was on fire!  There was so much talent in that small membership that our musicals were known throughout the city, and always brought great harvests of souls!

Members grew the church, invited others to attend, shared the Gospel, supported missionaries, and raised their kids to serve God!

Did I mention that nearly all of the members as well as the staff were.....in their 20s or 30s?

There's something about the energy and enthusiasm of youth that must be appreciated, captured, and encouraged if a church is to keep on growing and affecting the world around it.

Paul wrote to the young pastor Timothy, "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity"  (I Timothy 4:12)

I'm not in my 30s any more....
......I'm......in....my...50s....(whew!  I admitted it!)

Are people of my age "looking down" on those in the church who are younger because they do things differently?

Most folks my age are "comfortable" with a certain style of worship, particular rules in the sanctuary, the "proper" way to dress to attend church, standards of presentation from the pulpit.....but when we were in our 20s or 30s....OUR ways were NEW!  They were DIFFERENT!

When I was in my 20s and attending that young church, we didn't do things the way my parents' church did them.  We didn't sing the same songs, play the same instruments for worship, have the same kinds of sermons, dress for church in same kinds of clothes, or even fellowship the same way.....

I'm now one of the "elder generation" in the church.  I've been around, been through a lot of stuff, served in many capacities, and have taught the younger ones in Bible School for the last 12 years....I have experience and wisdom......

So....younger folk, please don't throw us elders out the window or under the bus!

On the other hand.....

Those of my era will (hopefully) keep in mind that the purpose for our experience and wisdom is not to put the "KABOSH" on new ways of presenting the Gospel, new songs, new worship experiences,  or new ways of reaching communities!

Who am I to say, "Since we didn't do things this way 30 years ago, they shouldn't be done this way today?"  My parents and their cohorts tried to tell me the same thing.....and I STILL went to that "wild" little church, lifted my hands, and sang, "We bring a sacrifice of praise...."

"NEW" does NOT have to mean, "WATERED DOWN".

I've been to churches where things went on that my generation generally sees as either distracting or downright irreverent.  For example:

Instead of a man standing in the pulpit and delivering the Word from his mouth, special effects- lighting and video presentations were used!

People carried coffee cups into the worship center, and the ushers didn't stop them!

The guy sitting next to me had earrings in his ears....

And when the hip, young pastor stood in the pulpit (in his jeans, T-shirt, and jacket), he preached the Word of God from his IPAD without compromise and with anointing and compassion.

People responded to the altar call with tears.  Many came and received healing of physical and emotional ills.  God moved.

I'm getting goose bumps thinking about it........God is so AWESOME!!!  Why would I want to limit Him to doing things the way of MY generation ONLY?

Don't get me wrong---God isn't finished with my generation....which is why we are still here!  :-)

Titus 2:1-8
"But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine: That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. the aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed  Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded. In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing incorruptness, gravity, sincerity, sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part my be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you."

I'm thankful for my years of experience.

I'm here to teach and encourage the younger....but I'm not gonna be stuck in the past....One day, I WILL PREACH FROM MY IPAD!

By then, there will probably be another more hip device....  Oh, well....at least I'm trying!  :-)

Keep fulfilling your purpose. I'll blog ya next week!




















No comments:

Post a Comment